Custom Fields allow you to perform specific actions at the page/post level. Weaver uses a number of custom fields to implement the “Weaver Xtreme Options for this page”. For example, if you check the box “Hide page Title”, an invisible Custom Field Area is added with the value of on. Any custom fields defined in this way can only be changed by the settings in the Per Page options box. Attempts to change any values directly in the Custom Field box will fail. Some of the Per Page/Post options are implemented so that they are not invisible.
Many plugins use Custom Fields directly to set options or define special content. Note that the old Weaver II used a different implementation of Custom Fields that did not make most of the options invisible, but Weaver Xtreme uses invisible Custom Field options.
The main use for user defined Custom Fields in Weaver is the ability to use them to have access to user defined HTML Insertion Boxes at the page or post level
You should already know that in Advanced Options > HTML Insertion, you have many different Code Boxes that enable you to insert code, HTML, Content… in a number of specific areas like Pre header, Pre Container, Pre main etc…
If not, you can have a look at the Xtreme Layout tutorial below.
But these HTML Insertion Areas apply to ALL pages.
If you want that functionality on an individual page / post basis, here is how you can use Custom Fields to do the job:
- In the Page Editing Page, go to the Box named Custom Fields. If that box is not there activate it in the Screen Options (tab at the top right of the page).
- In the Custom Fields Box, in the “Add New Custom Field” area, there is a box called Name and one called Value
- Under the drop down list for Name there is a small link called Enter New
- Click on “Enter New” to create a new custom field
- Put the name of the area you wish to use (see list of valid names below) in the Name box.
- Then put the code to insert in the Value Box.
- For example if you simply want to insert some styled text in that area, type something like: <span style=”margin-left:30px;color:#FFFFFF;”> This is the Text I want to see there </span>)
- Then click Add Custom Field and update your page
Once created it should look like below
In Weaver II (Pro)The predefined Areas (Custom Field Names) where you can insert any content are as mentioned:
Xtreme Custom Fields name are:
They are illustrated here:http://demo.weavertheme.com/insertion-areas/
Another use for the page custom Field is on combination with Weaver Per page text widget
Once you have dropped a weaver per page text widget (Weaver II per page text or Weaver X per page text) in a widget area, you can make it show different content on different pages using two page custom fields that you create following the method described above.
The difference are the names of the custom field.
To show a title for the widget, create a custom field with the name, wvr_pp_title on Weaver II, and wvrx_ts_pp_title on Xtreme, and the title you want in its value box
To show specific content for the widget, create a custom field with the name, wvr_pp_text on Weaver II , and wvrx_ts_pp_text on Xtreme, and the HTML content you want in its value box
NOTE: The same method applies To posts. When you add content using custom fields on a Post editing page, it will add that content to the Single Post page.
Although the Custom Fields name are not listed in a Post editing page the same names as available on a page apply.
Hope this helps.